The food handlers role within the context of a food safety management system is emphasised. Hazard identification and controls, record keeping and reporting procedures are integral to the programme.
All operators within the Food Sector who come into direct contact with food need to be trained to this level 2 qualification. This is the industries standard basic level where operators are preparing, cooking and/or serving food.
The syllabus has the flexibility to enable training to be tailored to meet specific needs. Overall, it enables employees to:
- take personal responsibility for following food safety procedures
- keep themselves clean and hygienic
- receive and store food safely
Employees who handle food will gain a firm grasp of the importance of food safety and knowledge of the systems involved. They will have the confidence and expertise to deliver quality food safely to customers.
Course duration and assessment
The course is of 6 hours duration, it is followed by a thirty question multi-choice examination paper, which may be conducted orally. Candidates who achieve twenty or more correct answers will be awarded the certificate.
In-house courses are available throughout the UK. for a maximum of 20 delegates.
- Course content.
- food safety hazards
- temperature control
- refrigeration, chilling and cold holding
- cooking, hot holding and reheating
- food handling
- principles of safe food storage
- food premises and equipment
Anyone working in a catering or hospitality setting where food is prepared, cooked and served. Typical environments may include:
- contract catering
- fast-food outlets
- residential homes
- nursing homes
- armed forces
- There are no pre requisites for this course although delegates will need a clear understanding of English in order to complete the multi choice test.
- The certificate lasts for 3 years and is issued by the Awarding Organisation (AO).
- The multi choice test is conducted under exam conditions so language assistance from the trainer can be limited, however certain test papers are available in different languages but again these are limited. A translator can be used if necessary.
- Group price £310.00 + £9.00 / delegate (accreditation cost) + vat for 20 delegates max.
Group price £290.00 + £9.00 / delegate (accreditation cost) + vat for 10 delegates or less.